Summer Kiss Melon Mojito
A traditional Cuban Mojito has six essential ingredients: fresh mint, sugar, rum, lime juice, rum and soda water. It's great, but for an even more delicious cocktail, I've added the touch of a Summer Kiss melon.
The combination of the sweet melon and the refreshing mint perfectly complements the potent kick of the rum.
I'm thinking: a barbecue with few friends, tasty food on the grill, and a perfect Summer Kiss melon Mojito in hand. A fun, fulfilling gathering! What more could you ask for?
Summer Kiss Melon Mojito Recipe:
Makes 1 Mojito
Prep Time: 10 minutes
1 cup Summer Kiss melon, cut into large pieces (see instruction no. 1 below), plus 1 small slice for garnish
8 mint leaves, plus 1 small sprig for garnish, washed and dried
1-1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2-ounces white rum
1 thin slice of lime
1. Add the melon to a food processor fitted with the blade attachment and blend until it's a smooth purée, about 30 seconds. Place a strainer over a medium-sized mixing bowl, pour in the melon purée, and strain it into the bowl. Use the back of a large spoon to press on any remaining purée, to be sure you've gotten as much juice as possible into the bowl. Remove 1/4 cup of the juice and set it aside. (If there's leftover juice, save it for another recipe -- or drink it!)
2. Add the mint leaves, sugar, and lime juice to a cocktail shaker.
3. Use the end of a wooden spoon or cocktail muddler to muddle the mint into the other ingredients. (This releases oils from the mint and helps the sugar dissolve.)
4. Pour in the melon juice and rum and stir to combine.
5. Pour the drink mixture into a glass filled with ice, leaving 2 to 3-inches of room at the top. Then add just enough club soda to fill the glass.
6. Garnish with the sprig of mint and small melon slice.