Summer Kiss Melon Granita
Is it a refreshing dessert or a delicious, frozen cocktail? I say both!
The Summer Kiss Melon is perfect in this cool, delicious dessert. The light green color of the melon is cooling in of itself. With a touch of citrus and turned into ice, this flavorful melon becomes an ideal summer treat.
And for a splash of contrasting color, add a few raspberries, blueberries and blackberries on the top when you serve.
Summer Kiss Melon Granita Recipe:
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Freezing Time: about 6 hours
4 cups Summer Kiss melon, roughly chopped in large chunks (makes about 1-1/2 cups melon purée)
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 cup vodka
1. Add the melon to a food processor fitted with the blade attachment and blend until it's as smooth as possible, at least 30 seconds. (It should make about 1-1/2 cups melon purée).
2. Place a strainer over a medium-sized mixing bowl and pour in the melon purée, and strain it into the bowl. Use the back of a large spoon to press on any remaining purée, to be sure you've gotten as much juice as possible into the bowl. Set aside.
3. Add the sugar and water to a small saucepan over medium heat. Warm this only until the sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes. Then pour it into the bowl with the melon juice.
4. Pour in the lime juice and vodka and stir to blend.
5. Pour the mixture into an 8 X 8-inch baking dish and freeze until the granita becomes slushy, about 1 hour. Use a fork to stir. Continue freezing the granita until frozen, about 4 hours -- stirring every hour with the fork to form crystals.
6. Divide the granita among 6 dessert dishes and serve.
Of course you could omit the vodka for a kid-friendly -- and just as tasty -- version of this recipe.