Summer Kiss Melon Cranberry Muffins
Why do we call muffins “muffins?” They’re pretty much cupcakes without the frosting. Right?
I personally like to call cupcakes “muffins” simply to justify having them for breakfast. And this recipe happens to be packed with the delicious flavor of a Summer Kiss melon. So all you have to do now is add a side of eggs. Breakfast is served!
Summer Kiss Melon Cranberry Muffin Recipe:
Makes 1-1/2 dozen muffins
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Bake Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Active Work Time: 35 minutes
For the muffin batter:
3/4 cup whole or low-fat milk
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons Midori
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup dried cranberries
2 cups Summer Kiss melon, cut into a very small dice, divided
For the muffin topping:
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup golden brown sugar
4 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter
1/2 cup Summer Kiss melon, cut into a small dice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and line your muffin pans with (18) paper cups. Set aside.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk the milk with the eggs and vanilla. Once this is smooth, mix in the cooled, melted butter. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of the flour, baking powder, sugar and cinnamon.
4. Now add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix only until it's blended. Set aside.
5. Add the cranberries and the remaining 1/4 cup of flour to a small bowl. Very gently toss with your hands, to lightly coat the cranberries with the flour.
6. Fold the cranberries and 1-1/2 cup of the melon into the batter.
7. Divide the batter among the 18 muffin cups and set aside.
8. For the topping, add the flour and sugar to a small bowl. Then add the cold, diced butter and use your fingertips to rub it with the dry ingredients. It should be crumbly when it's done. Now mix in the remaining 1/2 cup of the melon.
9. Sprinkle the topping evenly on top of the batter in the muffin cups.
10. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let the muffins cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes.