Sugar Kiss Melon Sticky Rice
This Sugar Kiss Melon flavored sticky rice dish is every bit as delectable as a traditional Thai sticky rice, only it's made with melon juice in lieu of coconut milk. Still sweet and creamy, it's totally fat-free, which is just an accidental perk of this already divine dish. And while this delicious dish is sweet enough for dessert, it's also savory enough to go along side any meal.
Sugar Kiss Melon Sticky Rice Recipe
Serves 4 to 6
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Active Work Time: 20 minutes
1 cup glutinous rice (This does not mean it contains gluten -- I like Calrose, which is available at most markets.)
1 cup water
2 cups Sugar Kiss melon, cut into large chunks (plus the Sugar Kiss melon listed below)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup Sugar Kiss melon, cut into a small dice
1. In a medium-sized pot, soak the rice in 1 cup of water for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.
2. Add the 2 cups of melon to a blender (or food processor fitted with the blade attachment), and blend until it's juice -- you should have 1-1/4 cups (if there's extra, save it for another use.)
2. After 30 minutes, do not drain the rice, and add 1 cup of the melon juice, brown sugar and salt. Stir to blend and place the pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat to the lowest setting and partially cover with a lid so that there's a tiny bit of room for steam to escape.
3. Simmer the rice until all of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice, about 20 minutes.
4. Then turn off the heat, and leave the pot on the stove with the lid on until you're ready to serve.
5. Just before serving, mix the remaining 1/4 cup of melon juice and the diced melon into the rice.
Please note that there are two different listings of melon in the ingredient list -- they are indeed separate.