Spicy Sugar Kiss Melon Grilled Shrimp Cocktail
A beautifully presented Shrimp Cocktail is one of my favorite things to order when I'm out. I just love a bite of the cool, fresh shellfish dipped into a smooth and spicy sauce.
With two young kids, I don't get out too much, so I started making my own Shrimp Cocktail at home -- and experimenting with various sauces. I've made about a dozen, and this one, filled with Sugar Kiss Melon is the absolute best -- the winner!
Spicy Sugar Kiss Melon Grilled Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
Total Prep: 10 minutes
Chilling Time: about 45 minutes
Active Work Time: 15 minutes
20 jumbo-sized shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 1-pound)
1 cup Sugar Kiss Melon, cut into large chunks
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon chile paste (I like Sambal Oelek)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat a stove-top grill or outdoor BBQ. (You can also use a sauté pan if you don't have a grill.)
2. Season both sides of the shrimp with salt and pepper. Once the grill is very hot, add the shrimp. If you don't hear a sizzling sound, it's not hot enough. Grill just until they are cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Place them on a plate to cool to room temperature. Then place them in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. (You can make the shrimp up to 6 hours ahead of time, keeping them chilled in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve.)
2. Add the melon to a blender and purée. (You can also chop it as finely as possible, and it will, more or less, purée that way, too.)
3. In a small bowl, mix the melon purée with the sour cream, chile paste, and a pinch of salt.
4. Serve the dipping sauce with the shrimp -- either on the side, or for a fancier look, in 4 individual glasses. (See above image.)