Rosemary Bacon Wrapped Golden Kiss Melon
What's better than the classic combination of melon and prosciutto?
Melon and warm, crispy applewood smoked bacon -- that's what!
This beautiful bacon-wrapped Golden Kiss melon is a stunning, delectable hors d'oeuvre. Held together with an earthy, aromatic sprig of fresh rosemary, it's easy to pick up and eat in a bite or two.
Rosemary Bacon Wrapped Golden Kiss Melon Recipe:
Makes 1 dozen
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: About 30 minutes
Active Work Time: 25 minutes
1 dozen approximately 2 X 1-inch pieces of Golden Kiss melon
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary, plus 1 dozen approximately 3-1/2-inch sprigs of fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
6 strips of applewood smoked bacon
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Prepare the melon (as directed above), and place the pieces on a large plate. Set aside.
2. In your smallest sauté pan, combine the 2 teaspoons of finely chopped rosemary with the oil. Place it over medium heat just long enough to warm it.
3. Drizzle the rosemary oil over the prepared melon and set aside.
4. Place a paper towel over a large plate and set it aside.
Cut the bacon slices in half and add them to a large sauté pan over medium heat. Cook until the bacon is nicely browned and crisp, about 4 minutes per side.
5. Remove the bacon from the pan, dab each slice on the paper towel and immediately wrap it around one of the melon pieces. Where the two ends meet, overlap them as much as you can, and gently stick a sprig of rosemary into it. Place them on a serving platter as you go.
6. Crack fresh black pepper on top and serve right away.