Red Quinoa Tropical Summer Kiss Melon Fruit Salad
Making this salad is a bit like painting a picture. It's all about colors and textures. And of course, it's delicious!
I love the soft green Summer Kiss melon, the bright orange mango, and the sunny yellow pineapple against the red quinoa and purple onions. The sweet flavor of the fruits is lovely with the earthy and nutty flavor of the quinoa.
This healthy, beautiful salad is an excellent side, and it can even be a fantastic entrée. Any which way, I think you'll love it!
Red Quinoa Tropical Summer Kiss Melon Fruit Salad Recipe:
Serves 2 as a main course and 4 as a side
Prep Time: 20 minutes (not including cooking the quinoa)
For the dressing:
1-1/2 tablespoons Summer Kiss melon juice (see recipe instruction no. 1 below)
1-1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon honey
1-1/2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the salad:
2 cups cooked red quinoa
3/4 cup Summer Kiss melon, cut into a small dice
1/2 cup fresh pineapple, cut into a small dice
1/2 cup fresh mango, cut into a small dice
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
1. To get the melon juice, either use a spoon in the center of the melon to collect some after you've removed the seeds -- or -- chop a bit of the melon super finely and it will become juice. Set aside.
2. In a tiny bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients together, and set aside.
3. The quinoa should be made at least a couple of hours ahead of time so it can cool completely. (I usually make a large amount at once and use it over a period of several days, in a few different recipes.) You can cook the quinoa according to the package instructions — typically you mix 1 part quinoa with 2 parts water, bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes.
2. In a medium to large serving bowl, combine the cooked, cooled quinoa with the melon, pineapple, mango, onion and cilantro.
3. Gently toss the salad with the dressing and serve.
I love the color of red quinoa in this salad -- however, any quinoa will be delicious.